Friday, March 21, 2008

Chinese? Cina? Madarin? Hua Yu?

Ian Beh wrote this inspiring letter to Tony Pua and Ong Kian Ming of Education in Malaysia. I took that letter to heart. All i can say is, Ian is a terrific writter with an analytical mind i envy. Please, go read his blog.

As a student who has taken the Chinese Language paper for more than 10 years now, i feel it is safe to say that my level of chinese not THAT teruk la. But still....the chinese paper really is a killer. Look at the overall grades of the Chinese paper. Tell me, how many of you have actually scored an A1 for Chinese paper? Even the chunted students in my class barely managed an A2 on that subject. So, what about us?

I feel kinda sad la. Heck, we study our butts out to ace the paper. Yet when we look at it realistically, it is quite a relief just to obtain a pass grade. So many of my contemporaries have considered dropping the subject. I admit, i have too. SPM results this year for CHS not that bright, the chinese subject i mean. Only 7 A1's i heard, compared to last year's 20.

Luckily, i have my parents to thank for pestering me consistently to continue my chinese studies. They're usual excuse: Aiya....CHINA now very geng ar....you will be grateful one day when you can speak chinese and do business with them ar...earn more tau?


Sigh, even as i say so now. I really,really hope that my marks for Chinese this term will turn out OK.

I'm in a quandary. I can't work it out. Do i HATE the subject? Or am i just AFRAID of it?



Bummer.

No comments: